The National Center for Transgender Equality advocates to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people. In the nation’s capital and throughout the country, NCTE works to replace disrespect, discrimination, and violence with empathy, opportunity, and justice.
The National Center for Transgender Equality is looking for a Digital Strategist to manage a robust digital media program that integrates the organization’s social media, web, and email presences to persuade supporters to take action, gain new followers, and increase NCTE’s visibility. In particular, the Digital Strategist will help to ensure that NCTE’s digital presences engage trans people of color and trans people of low or no income. The Digital Strategist will be supervised by the Director of Communications and will join a tight-knit team of adaptable, driven people with a good sense of humor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with the Director of Communications to create and regularly update an analytics-driven strategy for growing and optimizing NCTE’s digital presences—social media accounts, websites, email outreach, and online advertisements.
- Execute that strategy by creating fresh visual and written content that engages current supporters and potential new supporters and drives them to action, drafting social media posts, email campaigns, and advocacy alerts.
- Take photographs and videos to document and promote NCTE’s participation in events like rallies, lobby days, and speaking engagements.
- Keep NCTE’s websites up to date, and take point on working with external consultants to implement major changes.
- At least 1-2 years of experience in communications or marketing, preferably including experience measuring, managing, and analyzing data to improve digital programs
- Ability to work as an integral part of a highly collaborative team
- Hunger to constantly learn and grow
- Ability to work quickly and be flexible in an environment influenced by an unpredictable and never-ending news cycle
- Planning and time management, including the ability to independently manage multiple streams of work and keep to deadlines
- Ability to write in a clear and engaging manner that emulates the organizational voice
- Understanding of the issues affecting transgender people in the United States, particularly how race and socioeconomic status impact the experience of being transgender
- Some knowledge of website maintenance (e.g. prior experience with a content management system like Drupal or WordPress, knowledge of HTML and CSS)
- Some knowledge of graphic design principles; experience in graphic design and familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite preferred
- Video editing knowledge is a plus
- Experience with customer-relationship management tools like Blackbaud, Salsa, or EveryAction is a plus
- Experience with social media management tools like HootSuite, Buffer, or SproutSocial is a plus
- Spanish language ability is a plus
The Digital Strategist works from our national office in Washington, DC.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is consistent with experience. NCTE offers a strong, generous benefits package that includes dental, vision and health insurance, employer contributions to retirement, pre-tax Metro benefits, paid holidays, vacation, sick, and volunteer time off.
Email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with the subject line “Digital Strategist.” Inquire over email if an acknowledgement of your application is not received after one week. Please no calls. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
NCTE is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse staff made of people who are hard-working, kind, optimistic and committed to social justice, from all segments of transgender and allied communities. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact Patrick Paschall, Director of Finance and Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.