The National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) seeks a Director of Outreach and Education. This position manages the Outreach and Education Department and the organizations’ overall outreach and education strategy to advance transgender equality, including storytelling and advocacy training programs, lobby day, state legislative engagement, election-related mobilization and the U.S. Transgender Survey. NCTE conducts its outreach and education work integrating racial and economic justice values throughout. This position is located in Washington, DC and requires occasional travel.
The National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) advocates to change policies and society to increase understanding and acceptance of transgender people. In the nation’s capital and throughout the country, NCTE works to replace disrespect, discrimination, and violence with empathy, opportunity, and justice. Launched in 2017, the National Center for Transgender Equality Action Fund (NCTE Action Fund) is a 501(c)(4) non-profit advocacy organization fighting for transgender equality at the local, state, and federal levels, affiliated with NCTE. The two organizations share office space and staff, including this position.
- Develop and manage and the overall strategy for community engagement to advance transgender equality related to advancing local, state and federal policies, including engaging trans people of color communities, and overseeing strategy related to travel/conferences, training, and speaking by the organization’s staff
- Manage the Outreach and Education Department by supervising staff that run the following programs: 1) the storytelling/advocacy training programs for transgender youth, adults, and family members (Voices for Transgender Equality and Families for Transgender Equality), 2) the new national organizing program, which includes state legislative advocacy, national lobby day, and election-related organizing, and 3) the U.S. Transgender Survey project
- Ensure that the Department’s staff have reasonable work plans and goals that 1) reflect NCTE’s strategic plan and values, including values of racial and economic justice, 2) are conducted within budget, and 3) are communicated internally and externally as appropriate
- Personally manage a portion of the organization’s relationships with external organizations in the LGBT and civil rights movements to enhance collaboration with these organizations and social justice movements
- Personally manage relationships with a portion of the organization’s stakeholders, including community leaders throughout the country
- Occasionally speak at conferences or other gatherings to selected audiences, potentially serve as an on-the-record spokesperson for NCTE to help educate the public about transgender people and the issues transgender people face, as well as write occasional op-eds or other educational pieces
- Actively participate as a member of the Management Team
- Other duties as assigned, including special projects as needed
- Management Experience: Preferably at least 3-5 years of experience in managing others at a non-profit of similar or larger size than NCTE. We are open to candidates who have a range of management experience, from just a little experience to decades of experience.
- Experience: Direct experience with at least one of the following: conducting training programs, running large events, community organizing or outreach, or policy advocacy at the local, state or federal level
- Collaborative Spirit: Ability to work as integral part of a team of hard-working, energetic professionals, taking input from a variety of assertive colleagues
- Commitment to Social Justice: A commitment to issues affecting transgender people as well as the interconnected issues of racism, classism and other systems of oppression is critical to this work
- Understanding Racial and Economic Justice: A deep and nuanced understanding of racial and economic justice and systems of inter-connected oppressions is critical, including how these issues arise inside the transgender and LGBT rights movements
- Prioritization and Detail Orientation: Ability to set and meet goals, prioritize, plan, manage, and complete work on time while maintaining optimum quality
- Self-direction: Takes initiative and is ambitious to ensure that all projects are moving forward
- Optimism: An optimism that is unwavering, with a can-do attitude and a problem-solving orientation, and the assumption that most people are also trying to improve the world
- Strength and persistence: The ability to be exposed to transphobia and other kinds of discrimination or stress on a daily basis and keep fighting hard for transgender equality
- Flexibility: Ability to shift one’s one work and expectations and generally be willing to fill any role needed for success of the organization or project
- Language: Spanish ability is a plus
Salary and Benefits
Salary is consistent with experience. NCTE offers a strong, generous benefits package that includes dental, vision and health insurance, employer contributions to retirement, pre-tax Metro benefits, paid holidays, vacation, sick and volunteer time off.
Application and Timeline
Email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Outreach and Education” in the subject line. Inquire over email if an acknowledgement of your application is not received after one week. Please no calls. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
The National Center for Transgender Equality is an equal opportunity employer. NCTE is committed to creating a diverse staff made of people who are kind, optimistic, hard-working and committed to social justice, from all segments of transgender and allied communities. If you have disability-related accommodations needs during the application process, please contact Patrick Paschall, NCTE’s Director of Finance and Operations, at email@example.com.