The National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE) seeks a Media Relations Manager to be responsible for real-time monitoring of news, conceptualizing and implementing media tactics for specific projects and initiatives, building and maintaining media relationships, reaching out to the press around newsworthy initiatives and content, and managing inbound media inquiries. As needed, the qualified candidate may travel to the field on short notice to assist in the management of major media moments. In addition, the position will work closely with the Communications Director, program and advocacy staff, executives and fundraisers to implement strategies and plans for telling NCTE’s most compelling stories to external audiences.
- Rapidly respond to media inquiries in a complex and fast-paced organization.
- Work with media in positive and adverse situations, including extensive pitching.
- Implement the organization’s media outreach strategy; and contribute to overall visibility and press-related goals.
- Serve as the liaison to state and national media – includes developing relationships with journalists, writing and editing press materials, pitching NCTE/NCTE Action Fund experts to media and preparing them for interviews.
- Travel, including accompanying staff experts to interviews as necessary to support media relations goals.
- Identifying and assisting with the training of non-staff spokespeople and storytellers.
- Pitch NCTE’s existing content (stories, photos, videos, multimedia pieces) to media outlets.
- Coordinate closely with other members of the Communications and Development teams for media opportunities around fundraisers, web content, observances and news developments to align storytelling and maximize reach and impact of media hits.
- Ensure accuracy and quality of all media relations products, including news releases and talking points.
- Monitor and measure success of media relations activities; oversee monthly, quarterly and annual media reports.
- Work cooperatively and collaboratively with others across NCTE and with organizational partners, create effective partnerships at all levels of the organization.
- Help establish new directions with messaging and manage rapid change.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience: Preferably at least three years of experience in communications, preferably with a non-profit of similar or larger size (no specific educational degree is required).
- Outstanding listening, awareness and superior conversational skills, to elicit the right information from a variety of sources.
- Must be well-versed in developing communication materials, be media savvy, and must be eager to pitch extensively, have exceptional creative skills and writing talent.
- Strong understanding of the issues and needs of transgender people in the United States, including trans people of color and those with low- or no income, and have skill in speaking directly but sensitively about issues of gender, sexuality, race, class and other aspects of diversity and oppression within an intersectional framework.
- Ability to work as an integral part of a team of hard-working, assertive and energetic professionals, giving and taking input with a variety of staff.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills, detail-oriented, including ability to manage multiple tasks independently, set and meet goals, prioritize, plan, manage and complete work on deadline.
- Personality: The ideal candidate will typify intellectual curiosity and gregariousness, as well as the ability to remain calm and focused during crisis situations, while also possessing a sense of urgency.
- Must be comfortable working in a high-volume environment and have the ability to closely follow the messaging of the organization on a wide variety of issues.
- Strong skills with Microsoft Office, Google Apps (Gmail, Google Docs and Drive), and social media required; Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Flexibility with work schedule; this position requires frequent irregular evening and weekend work to respond to breaking news/developments.
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is consistent with experience. NCTE offers a strong, competitive benefits package that includes dental, vision and health insurance, as well as IRA matching.
This position works out of our national office in Washington, DC. The position may involve occasional travel.
Email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org (a single PDF document is preferred), with the subject line “Media Relations Manager.” Inquire over email if an acknowledgement of your application is not received after one week. Please no calls. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis.
The National Center for Transgender Equality is an equal opportunity employer. NCTE is committed to creating a diverse staff made of people who are hard-working, kind, optimistic and committed to social justice, from all segments of transgender and allied communities.