NCTE recognized in Top 6 of Nonprofits for LGBT Advocacy
Given highest ranking Trans organization and the highest ranking smaller group
Guidestar’s Philanthropedia survey of 110 national LGBT equality movement leaders ranked the National Center for Transgender Equality sixth National LGBT Equality and Support nonprofit in 2012 and is the top transgender-focused organization in the survey. The rankings recognize organizations making significant contributions in LGBT equality. Here are some things experts said of NCTE:
- NCTE has almost single-handedly brought transgender issues into the mainstream of LGBT advocacy work. Their extraordinary local training capacity for activists, coupled with their ability to get a seat at seemingly any table, has been remarkable.
- NCTE is the undisputed leader at making positive things happen on the federal level concerning transgender people’s rights. NCTE has also issued many very useful fact sheets and other public education pieces that help transgender people and advocates understand and access existing and emerging rights.
- NCTE is the premier organization advocating for the transgender community. They have a proven success record of education members of Congress and their staff on transgender issues. Their advocacy day has grown considerably in the last few years, bringing the face of their community to the halls of Congress. They are respected by other organizations for their willingness to collaborate.
- Staff leadership and passion are clearly the driving forces behind the success of NCTE. Mara Keisling’s energy is boundless and her ability to reach out to just about everyone, with her strong sense of humor and her accessible style, has been a boon to the movement. Transgender people still face tremendous barriers to full inclusion, but with Mara leading the charge I am confident that trans people will not be left behind.
- NCTE has provided leadership for other LGBT advocacy organizations by helping clarify a federal agenda for transgender advocacy. Its staff is deeply knowledgeable and more accomplished and more competent than other transgender-focused advocacy groups.
NCTE Executive Director Mara Keisling said, “It is a great honor that our colleagues recognize our great work. We are very proud of the work we do and how we so effectively turn people’s support into clear wins for transgender equality. We’ll keep doing our work smartly, passionately, efficiently, and very very effectively." We really hope that potential donors will read this honor as an invitation to support an assertive, scrappy, trim and successful organization like NCTE. Read more about the rankings here. Make a donation to NCTE here.