ID Documents Center


New Hampshire

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to get a legal name change where you live and update your name/gender on state and federal IDs and records.

How friendly is the driver’s license gender change policy in your state? 
Check the grade we gave your state.

Last updated April 2019

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

New Hampshire Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in New Hampshire, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. Subject to the court's discretion there may be a publication requirement, but generally no publication is required. (N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 547:3-i & 550:4) The court petition for a name change form is online here.

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in New Hampshire, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in New Hampshire resource.

New Hampshire Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name on a New Hampshire ID, you must submit (1) a Record Change Request, and (2) legal documentation of the name change. In order to update the gender marker, you must submit a Change of Gender Designation Form. The New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles addresses name change here.

New Hampshire Birth Certificate Laws

New Hampshire will issue a new birth certificate upon receipt of a court order indicating that the individual has "had a sex change." RSA 5-C:87.  Birth certificate amendments are made through the City or Town Clerk where you were born. Call the City or Town Clerk first to ask for the address to send the application, how they accept payment (cash/check/etc), and whether they accept the state request form linked below. To apply for an updated birth certificate an applicant should submit:

  • A birth certificate request form - to request a copy of the new birth certificate (do not send application to address on the form).
  • A photocopy of the applicant's government-issued photo ID.
  • To change the name, a certified court order reflecting the name change.
  • To change the sex, a certified court order reflecting the gender change. The court order should instruct the city or town clerk of ______ to change the gender on the birth certificate to ____.
  • Applicable fees made out to the City or Town Clerk ($10 to amend the certificate, $15 for a copy of the certificate).

When a gender marker change is requested, a new birth certificate should be issued with no notation that a change of name or gender has been made.

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty