Consular Birth Certificates

Can I update a Consular Record of Birth Abroad?

Yes. A Consular Record of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is the equivalent of a birth certificate for American citizens born abroad. The policy for passports also applies for updating a CRBA. No medical documentation is necessary to request a change to CRBA gender marker.

To Amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, You Must Submit:

  1. A notarized written (or typed) request detailing the amendment or correction needed;
  2. Certified copies of documents justifying the amendment requested, in this case a court ordered name change, if applicable;
  3. An original or replacement consular report of birth abroad: any birth record issued from the Department of State such as an FS-240 (for birth after January 3, 2011), replacement FS-240,  Certification of Report of Birth DS-1350 (for birth Nov 1, 1990 - Jan 2, 2011) or Certification of Birth Abroad FS-545 (for birth prior to November 1, 1990); or a notarized affidavit stating the whereabouts of the original or any replacement FS-240, DS-1350, FS-545 issued from the Department of State;
  4. A copy of requester’s valid identification;
  5. A $50.00 check or money order made payable to “Department of State”. The Department will assume no responsibility for cash lost in the mail.

Mail to:

Department of State
Passport Vital Records Section
44132 Mercure Cir.
PO Box 1213
Sterling, VA 20166-1213

To check the status of your FS-240 request, call 202-485-8300. You can find information about amendments on the State Department website here:

Footer lines pattern Footer lines pattern

Stay Informed

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and opportunities for action delivered straight to your inbox.