Indiana Identity Documents

Indiana Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Indiana, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The applicant must publish notice of the petition in the newspaper for three weeks and the last week’s publication should be at least 30 days before the hearing. The applicant should file a copy of the published name change notice verified by affidavit of a disinterested person.

Individuals who are currently confined in a Department of Corrections facility cannot receive a name change, and individuals who are not currently incarcerated but have a felony conviction within the last ten years have additional notification requirements. (Ind. Code Ann. §§ 34-28-2-1 to 34-28-2-4).

In addition, individuals with past convictions of certain violent or sex offenses are barred fom obtaining a name change for life except in cases of marriage, divorce, adoption, or for purposes of a sincerely held religious belief. In these cases, notification requirements apply. (Ind. Code Ann. IC §§ 11-8-8-23, 31-15-2-19, 31-19-2-1.1, 34-28-2-1.5).

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 17 in Indiana, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Indiana resource.


Indiana Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on an Indiana ID, the applicant must submit to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles:

  1. If requesting a name change, a court order approving a change of name or an amended birth certificate showing the change of name
  2. If requesting a gender change:
    1. a birth certificate showing a change of gender OR
    2. a form signed by a physician certifying that the applicant successfully underwent all treatment necessary to permanently change gender (State Form 55617) OR
    3. a physician’s signed and dated statement, on letterhead, that includes the language from 140 IAC 7-1.1-3 “<insert customer’s name> successfully underwent all treatment necessary to permanently change <insert customer’s name> gender from <insert prior gender> to <insert new gender>.”

The Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles addresses name and gender change here.


Indiana Birth Certificate Laws

Indiana Code allows for additions or corrections to birth certificates, but does not provide specific gender correction language. Ind. Code Ann. § 16-37-2-10. The Corrections Section of the Indiana State Department of Health Vital Records office will issue an amended birth certificate upon receipt of a court order.  To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit:

  • A certified court order from any valid court in the U.S. (the court order must have the person's name, date and place of birth, and must say to change the original gender of the person on the birth certificate)
  • An application for a birth certificate
  • A copy of a photo ID with current mailing address
  • A check or money order with applicable fees ISDH

General information from the Department of Health about amending birth certificates is on their website here.

Footer lines pattern Footer lines pattern

Stay Informed

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and opportunities for action delivered straight to your inbox.