Kansas Identity Documents

Kansas Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Kansas, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. Subject to the court's discretion, the applicant may need to send notice of the hearing to interested parties by mail or publish in a newspaper once a week for four weeks. (Kan. Stat. Ann.  §§ 60-1401 to 60-1403).

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Kansas, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Kansas resource.


Kansas Drivers License Policy & Procedures

Applicants may update the gender marker on a Kansas license or ID using a court ordered gender change OR a medical declaration.

The applicant must submit the following documents to the Chief Driver's License Examiner:

  1. To change the name, an original or file stamped copy of the name change order;
  2. To change the gender, the applicant must submit ONE of the following options:
    • ​Medical attestation of gender change, which must include:
      • A letter from the applicant requesting a change of gender. The letter must include the applicant's current full legal name, residential address, phone number, email address, and the requested gender marker.
      • A letter on official letterhead from a licensed physician stating that the applicant has undergone appropriate clinical treatment or that the physician has re-evaluated the applicant and determined that gender reclassification based on physical criteria is appropriate.
    • Court Order recognizing gender. If you have a court order recognizing your gender, you can show the court order instead of the medical declaration. This is typically applicable to people who obtained a court order outside of Kansas. Bring an original or file stamped photocopy of the court ordered gender change;
    • Birth certificate with updated gender. If you have updated the gender marker on your Kansas birth certificate, the DMV will accept the updated birth certificate as evidence of gender change. Submit a photocopy of the doctor's letter you used to update the birth certificate along with a copy of the updated birth certificate.
  3. A photocopy of the applicant's current Kansas driver's license or identification card.

The above documents should be sent to the following address:

Driver Services
PO Box 2188
Topeka, KS 66601

If the Division approves the request, the applicant will receive a letter from Chief Driver’s License Examiner authorizing the applicant’s change of gender designation.  The applicant should take that letter to any Kansas driver’s licensing exam station to update the applicant’s records and get a new driver’s license or identification card.  The applicant must take all of the following documents to the exam station:

  • The Division’s authorization letter;
  • The applicant’s current driver’s license/identification card; and
  • The appropriate fee required by law to secure an original, renewal, or replacement driver’s license. 

For more information on Kansas driver's license/state ID updates, please see this guide from Kansas Legal Services


Kansas Birth Certificate Laws

As of June 21, 2019, Kansas Office of Vital Statistics will issue updated birth certificates that reflect the gender identity of the applicant. See Foster v. Anderson Consent Judgment.

In order to update the gender marker on a Kansas birth certificate, applicants should submit the following:

  1. An Affidavit signed by the applicant (or the applicant's parent) requesting a change in sex designation
  2. One of the following as evidence of gender change:
    • A passport with the correct (updated) gender marker; OR
    • A driver's license with the correct (updated) gender marker; OR
    • Certification issued by a healthcare professional or mental health professional with whom the person has a doctor-patient relationship stating that based on his or her professional opinion the true gender identity of the applicant and that it is expected that this will continue to be the gender with which the applicant will identify in the future.
  3. A signed Application to Amend a Kansas Birth Certificate.
  4. A copy of the front and back of the applicant's current legal photo ID.
  5. A check or money order payable to Kansas Vital Statistics ($15 for amendment and $15 for each certified copy).
  6. A self-addressed stamped envelope.

Applications can be submitted by mail to:

Kansas Office of Vital Statistics
1000 SW Jackson, Suite 120
Topeka, KS 66612-2221 

The Kansas Office of Vital Records website has information about amending the sex designation of adults and minors.

Footer lines pattern Footer lines pattern

Stay Informed

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and opportunities for action delivered straight to your inbox.