Massachusetts Identity Documents

Massachusetts Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Massachusetts, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The applicant must give public notice of the petition, however the publication requirement may be waived for a good cause (Mass. Gen. Laws Ann. ch. 210, §§ 12-14), and is generally waived if an individual is changing their first name only. 

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Massachusetts, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Massachusetts resource.

Massachusetts Drivers License Policy & Procedures

Massachusetts will allow an M, F, or X on a driver's license or ID. No documentation of gender is required.

To update the name or gender on a MA ID, the applicant must submit a new License and ID Card Application indicating a change of information.

  1. For a name change, the applicant must submit a legal name change order with the application, and must first update their name with the Social Security Administration.
  2. For a gender marker change, fill out a new License and ID Card Application and indicate a change of information and the correct gender marker (no provider signature needed).

Massachusetts Birth Certificate Laws

Massachusetts will issue an amended birth certificate of birth upon receipt of an affidavit from the applicant and a notarized statement from a physician that “the person has completed medical intervention, appropriate for that individual, for the purpose of permanent sex reassignment and is not of the sex recorded on the record.” Mass. General Laws Ch. 46, §§ 13-E. Surgery is not required and a court order is not required. The reissued birth certificate may be marked as amended but will not specify what was amended.

To apply for an updated birth certificate an applicant should submit:

Applications may be submitted by mail or by in person to the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics: 

Registry of Vital Records and Statistics

Attn: Amendments

150 Mt. Vernon Street, 1st Floor

Dorchester, MA 02125

For more information or to make an appointment, telephone (617) 740-2600 or email [email protected]. Amendments also may be made at the Clerk’s Office in the city or town of birth.  Applicants can visit the Registry of Vital Records amendments website here and review the factsheet on birth certificate gender marker amendments here.

Footer lines pattern Footer lines pattern

Stay Informed

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and opportunities for action delivered straight to your inbox.