Nevada Identity Documents

Nevada Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Nevada, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. If you are changing your name to conform with your gender identity, you do not have to publish the name change in a newspaper. (Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 41.270-41.290). If all of the required forms are filed and the steps are correctly followed, the judge will typically approve of the name change without a hearing. Follow the step by step instructions available on Nevada Courts Name Change.

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Nevada, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Nevada resource.

Nevada Drivers License Policy & Procedures

Nevada will issue a gender marker of M, F, or X on a driver's license or state ID, with no medical documentation required.

In order to update the name on a Nevada ID, an applicant must first change their name with the Social Security Administration, and then submit a court order certifying the name change to the Department of Motor Vehicles. 

In order to update the gender marker on a Nevada ID, no documentation is needed. NAC 483-070. Applicants may select M, F, or X on the application form regardless of the gender on other documents submitted. An applicant must appear in person to make this change and is not limited in the number of times the change is made.

The DMV addresses name and gender marker changes here.

Nevada Birth Certificate Laws

Nevada Vital Records will issue a new birth certificate with a corrected gender of male, female, or X upon receipt of two affidavits reflecting an individual's gender. NAC 440.030.  

To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit:

  1. An Affidavit from the individual, their parent or guardian, or legal representative, stating the gender that should be on the birth certificate and why.
  2. Supplemental Affidavit from someone else who knows them confirming the facts in their affidavit. The second affidavit can be from anyone who has personal knowledge of the applicant’s gender, meaning anyone who knows the applicant’s gender firsthand through a personal, familial, medical, or professional relationship. The affidavit should confirm the individual’s gender identity and the gender they intend to maintain. A written statement on letterhead from a licensed healthcare professional or a court order confirming gender change can be submitted instead of the Supplemental Affidavit.
  3. A copy of the original birth certificate, if available.
  4. $40 fee, that includes one certified copy of the amended certificate. Additional copies are $20 each.

See the Instruction Packet on Changing Gender and Name on a Birth Certificate from the Nevada Office of Vital Records for more information.

Submit applications to:

Division of Public and Behavioral Health
Preparedness, Assurance, Inspections and Statistics
Nevada Office of Vital Records
4150 Technology Way, Suite 104
Carson City, Nevada 89706

For specifc questions about amending or correcting information on a birth certifcate, call 775-684-4242 and ask for an amendment clerk. 

Footer lines pattern Footer lines pattern

Stay Informed

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and opportunities for action delivered straight to your inbox.