New Hampshire Identity Documents

New Hampshire Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in New Hampshire, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. Subject to the court's discretion there may be a publication requirement, but generally no publication is required. (N.H. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 547:3-i & 550:4) The court petition for a name change form is online here.

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in New Hampshire, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in New Hampshire resource.

New Hampshire Drivers License Policy & Procedures

Applicants can indicate a gender of M, F, or X on their New Hampshire license or ID.

In order to update the name on a New Hampshire ID, you must submit a Record Change Request and legal documentation of the name change. The New Hampshire Department of Motor Vehicles addresses name change here.

In order to update the gender marker on a New Hampshire ID, you must submit a Change of Gender Designation Form signed by the applicant and a health care provider (physician, advance practice nurse, psychologist, clinical social worker, mental health counselor) affirming the applicant's gender identity

New Hampshire Birth Certificate Laws

New Hampshire will issue a new birth certificate upon receipt of a court order indicating that the individual has "had a sex change." RSA 5-C:87.  Birth certificate amendments are made through the City or Town Clerk where you were born. Call the City or Town Clerk first to ask for the address to send the application, how they accept payment (cash/check/etc), and whether they accept the state request form linked below. To apply for an updated birth certificate an applicant should submit:

  • A birth certificate request form - to request a copy of the new birth certificate (do not send application to address on the form).
  • A photocopy of the applicant's government-issued photo ID.
  • To change the name, a certified court order reflecting the name change.
  • To change the sex, a certified court order reflecting the gender change. The court order should instruct the city or town clerk of ______ to change the gender on the birth certificate to ____.
  • Applicable fees made out to the City or Town Clerk ($10 to amend the certificate, $15 for a copy of the certificate).

When a gender marker change is requested, a new birth certificate should be issued with no notation that a change of name or gender has been made.

Footer lines pattern Footer lines pattern

Stay Informed

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and opportunities for action delivered straight to your inbox.