New Mexico Identity Documents

New Mexico Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in New Mexico, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. Before filing the petition, the applicant must publish notice of the petition at least once a week for two weeks; the publication requirement can be waived for the applicant’s safety. (N.M. Stat. Ann. §§ 40-8-1 to 40-8-3).


To help guide applicants through the process a New Mexico Name and Gender Change Guide is available in English and Spanish, brought to you by the Transgender Resource Center of New Mexico, the National Center for Transgender Equality, and Cooley LLP.


For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in New Mexico, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in New Mexico resource.

New Mexico Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on a New Mexico ID, the applicant must submit

  1. A "Request for Sex Designation Change" form, indicating male, female, or undesignated (X).
  2. A court order certifying the name change 

New Mexico Birth Certificate Laws

The New Mexico Department of Vital Records will issue an amended birth certificate upon receipt of

  • the appropriate signed and notarized "Request to Change Gender Designation on a Birth Certificate" form,
  • if a name change is requested, submit a certified copy of the name change order, and with any applicable fees.

N.M. Stat. §§ 24-14-25.

For minors, applications must be submitted by a parent(s) or legal guardian on the minor's behalf. Minors ages 14-17 must also submit a consent form along with the application.

Footer lines pattern Footer lines pattern

Stay Informed

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and opportunities for action delivered straight to your inbox.