Oklahoma Identity Documents

Oklahoma Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Oklahoma, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. At least 10 days before the hearing, the applicant must publish notice of the hearing in a newspaper, however publication requirements can be waived and records can be sealed with good cause. (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 12, §§ 1631-1637).

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Oklahoma, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Oklahoma resource.

Oklahoma Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on an Oklahoma ID, the applicant must show an original or certified court order for name change, if applicable, and/or a notarized statement on letterhead from the physician who performed the sex change operation indicating the applicant or licensee has undergone a complete physical sex change. The letter shall state the sex change is 'irreversible and permanent'. The licensee shall also show proof of former legal name, if applicable. The former name shall be entered into the Alias field in the driver license database to provide historical information to the Department. The person requesting the information change may retain the old license, if it is available, after the motor license agent has first punched a hole through the identification number of the license. The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety addresses name change here.

Oklahoma Birth Certificate Laws

Oklahoma Office of Vital Records will likely issue an amended birth certificate upon receipt of a court order for gender change. There is no specific gender change provision in Oklahoma law, but the general statute is OK Title 310:105-3-3.

The applicant should submit the following documents:

  • Birth Certificate Request Form
  • Court order for gender change, if requesting an updated gender marker
  • Court order for name change if requesting an updated name
  • Copy of the individual's photo ID
  • Payment of any applicable fees.

Mail application here:

Vital Records 
Oklahoma State Department of Health 
PO BOX 53551
Oklahoma City, OK 73152-3551

The Office of Vital Records will contact the individual if any additional information is needed. Please note that the amended birth certificate will likely show the previous information.

Footer lines pattern Footer lines pattern

Stay Informed

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and opportunities for action delivered straight to your inbox.