Alabama | National Center for Transgender Equality

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

COVID-19 disruptions: Due to the current COVID-19 public health crisis, many courts and government offices are temporarily closed or operating for emergency business only; contact the office nearest you for details. You may unfortunately experience delays in getting a response from state or federal government agencies or in the processing of your name or gender marker change requests as a result. For your safety and the safety of others you should not travel to any government office at this time. You should keep dated copies of any materials you submit by mail or electronically. We understand this is a hardship for many, and we encourage you to reach out for support if you are distressed.

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated July 2021

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Alabama Name Change Laws

What to file:

Where to file:

File the petition and supporting documents at your local probate court.


Check with your local probate court as the fee ranges from $25 to $95.

If you are unable to afford this, you can submit an Affidavit of Substantial Hardship and Order.

Name Changes for Minors Under 18:

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Alabama, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Alabama resource.

Legal Overview:

To obtain a legal name change in Alabama, an applicant must submit a petition to the probate court for a name change order. Publication of the name change is not required (Statute: Ala. Code §12-13-1).

Alabama Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name on an Alabama ID, the applicant must first change their name with the Social Security Administration and then submit the court order for name change to a Driver License Office. The Alabama Department of Public Safety addresses name changes here.

In order to update the gender  on an Alabama ID, the applicant must submit an amended birth certificate OR documentation signed by a surgeon verifying that the applicant has completed gender reassignment surgery. 

To submit documentation in person, go to a Driver License Examining District Office.

To submit documentation by mail, contact the Medical Unit of the Driver License Agency at 334-242-4777 for review and advance approval, and they can advise what to submit and by what method to submit it.

Alabama Birth Certificate Laws

Alabama will amend the gender marker on a  birth certificate upon receipt of a certified copy of an order of a court of competent jurisdiction indicating that the "sex… has been changed by surgical procedure and that the name of the individual has been changed." An amended birth certificate is issued and the original birth certificate is not sealed. (Alabama Code § 22-9A-19, 22-9A-21). To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit a request to amend birth certificate, the certified court order directing amendment of the birth certificate, a copy of their government issued photo ID, and any applicable fees to Vital Records. The request to amend a birth certificate can be found here.

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty