Alaska | National Center for Transgender Equality

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

COVID-19 disruptions: Due to the current COVID-19 public health crisis, many courts and government offices are temporarily closed or operating for emergency business only; contact the office nearest you for details. You may unfortunately experience delays in getting a response from state or federal government agencies or in the processing of your name or gender marker change requests as a result. For your safety and the safety of others you should not travel to any government office at this time. You should keep dated copies of any materials you submit by mail or electronically. We understand this is a hardship for many, and we encourage you to reach out for support if you are distressed.

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated July 2021

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Alaska Name Change Laws

What to file:

The State of Alaska provides an Adult Change of Name Packet.

It includes the two forms that you must file:

Where to file:

File the petition and supporting documents at your superior court.


It cost $150 to file this application; if you are unable to afford this, you can ask the clerk for a Request for Exemption from Payment of Fees.

Name Changes for Minors Under 18:

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Alaska, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Alaska resource.

Legal Details:

To obtain a legal name change in Alaska, an applicant must submit a petition to the court for a name change order. Both the verified petition and hearing must be published in a newspaper once a week for four weeks. The publication requirement can be waived with a personal safety court order. (Alaska R. Civ. P. 84).

Alaska Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and gender on an Alaska ID, the applicant must first change their name with the Social Security Administration and then submit (1) a court order for name change (2) an application for a new ID, and (3) a Certification for Change of Sex signed by a licensed provider certifying that the applicant has undergone the appropriate clinical treatment. In lieu of signature by a licensed provider an applicant may present an updated birth certificate, U.S. Passport, or court order for gender change. The applicant must update the name on their license within 30 days of receiving a legal name change. The Alaska Division of Motor Vehicles addresses name and gender change here.

Alaska Birth Certificate Laws

The Alaska Department of Vital Records will amend the gender marker on a birth certificate upon receipt of a letter from a medical or mental health provider attesting to appropriate clinical treatment for gender transition.

To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit:

  1. Birth Certificate Request Form
  2. Photocopy of the ID of the registrant or the parent or guardian
  3. To update the name, a certified copy of the Decree of Name Change
  4. To update the gender marker, a letter from a medical or mental health provider (use this gender change letter template) OR a certified copy of a court ordered change of sex
  5. Fee ($60 for the amendment fee and one certified copy)

Submit the application to this address:

Alaska Vital Records Office
Attn: Corrections
PO Box 110675
Juneau, AK 99811-0675


  • Please note that the amended birth certificate will unfortunately list the information that was amended in fine print below the child and parent's names.
  • If using a gender change letter, the letter must be signed by a physician, social worker, psychologist, professional counselor, physician assistant, advance nurse practitioner. See the Department of Vital Records gender change policy for additional information. 
  • If you are applying for a legal name change in Alaska, you can request the court to include a sex change in the same proceeding. A court ordered name and sex change is sufficient evidence to update the name and gender on a birth certificate.

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty