Arkansas Vital Records will amend the gender marker on a birth certificate upon receipt of a certified copy of an order of a court of competent jurisdiction indicating that the "sex… has been changed by surgical procedure." The gender amendment is kept private and the original certificate is removed to a special file. (Ark. Code Ann. §§ 20-18-307, 20-18-304, 20-18-305).
To apply for an amended birth certificate, the applicant should submit the following:
- Birth Certificate Application Form;
- A court order indicating the sex has been changed by surgical procedure and the name has been changed;
- A copy of the doctor's letter indicating the sex has been changed by surgical procedure;
- A copy of the applicant's government-issued photo ID; and
- A check for $27 made payable to Arkansas Department of Health
Send application materials to:
Arkansas Department of Health
Vital Records, Slot 44
4815 W. Markham St.
Little Rock, AR 72205
Please note: Arkansas Vital Records will accept court orders for name and gender change from other states.