Arkansas | National Center for Transgender Equality

ID Documents Center



Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

COVID-19 disruptions: Due to the current COVID-19 public health crisis, many courts and government offices are temporarily closed or operating for emergency business only; contact the office nearest you for details. You may unfortunately experience delays in getting a response from state or federal government agencies or in the processing of your name or gender marker change requests as a result. For your safety and the safety of others you should not travel to any government office at this time. You should keep dated copies of any materials you submit by mail or electronically. We understand this is a hardship for many, and we encourage you to reach out for support if you are distressed.

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated July 2021

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Arkansas Name Change Laws

How to file:

Arkansas Transgender Equality Coalition Provides a step by step guide to changing your name in Arkansas.

Name Changes for Minors Under 18:

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Arkansas, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Arkansas resource.

Legal Details:

To obtain a legal name change in Arkansas, the applicant must submit a petition to the court for a name change order. The petition may be listed in public court records. (Ark. Code Ann. §§ 9-2-101 & 9-2-102)

Arkansas Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name on an Arkansas ID, the applicant must first change their name with the Social Security Administration and then submit the court order for name change to the Arkansas Office of Driver Services. The Office of Driver Services addresses name change here.

In order to update the gender, applicant's should request that the Office of Driver Services update the gender marker on an driver's license or state ID to M, F, or X, with no medical documentation required. If you have trouble with the Office of Driver Services, you can show them this documentation of their gender change policy.

Arkansas Birth Certificate Laws

Arkansas Vital Records will amend the gender marker on a birth certificate upon receipt of a certified copy of an order of a court of competent jurisdiction indicating that the "sex… has been changed by surgical procedure."  The gender amendment is kept private and the original certificate is removed to a special file. (Ark. Code Ann. §§ 20-18-307, 20-18-304, 20-18-305).

To apply for an amended birth certificate, the applicant should submit the following:

  • Birth Certificate Application Form;
  • A court order indicating the sex has been changed by surgical procedure and the name has been changed;
  • A copy of the doctor's letter indicating the sex has been changed by surgical procedure;
  • A copy of the applicant's government-issued photo ID; and
  • A check for $27 made payable to Arkansas Department of Health

Send application materials to:

Arkansas Department of Health
Vital Records, Slot 44
4815 W. Markham St. 
Little Rock, AR 72205

Please note: Arkansas Vital Records will accept court orders for name and gender change from other states.

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty