ID Documents Center



Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to get a legal name change where you live and update your name/gender on state and federal IDs and records.

How friendly is the driver’s license gender change policy in your state? 
Check the grade we gave your state.

Last updated February 2019

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Colorado Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Colorado, the applicant must submit a petition to the court for a name change order. The applicant must publish notice of the name change in a newspaper at least three times in 21 days, except with good cause. A name change will not be granted for convicted adult felons or delinquents with the equivalent of an adult felony unless there is good cause. The applicant must be fingerprinted, update their criminal history with the new name, and notify District Attorney offices where convicted. (Colo. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 13-15-101 & 13-15-102). 

Colorado Drivers License Policy & Procedures

As of November 30, 2018, the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles will issue an M, F, or X on a Colorado ID or driver's license upon receipt of a form signed by a medical or behavioral healthcare provider.

If you are updating your legal name, you must first obtain a court ordered name change, then change your name with the Social Security Administration and wait at least 24 hours for the SSA system to update before you are able to change your name on your Colorado license or ID.

In order to update your name and/or gender on a Colorado license or ID, you must submit:

  1. Your application document or current driver's license or identification card;
  2. If changing your name, a court ordered name change;
  3. If changing your gender marker, a completed Medical Information Authorization form, signed by a medical or behavioral health professional and the applicant; and
  4. Renewal fee.

 A new photo will be taken, and you will be issued a temporary driver license, identification card, or identification document. Your new driver license or identification card, or identification document will be mailed to you.

Colorado Birth Certificate Laws

Colorado will amend the gender marker on a birth certificate upon receipt of a certified copy of an order of a court of competent jurisdiction indicating that the "sex… has been changed by surgical procedure." The birth certificate will be marked as amended overall but will not indicate that the gender that was amended. (C.R.S.A. § 25-2-115, 25-2-117).

The applicant should submit the following:

The CO Department of Public Health website has information about gender change on a CO birth certificate.

To get a court order for gender change in Colorado, you can use court forms JDF 76 and 77, specifying gender change by surgical procedure.

    Join Our Mailing List

       Please leave this field empty