The Connecticut Department of Public Health will amend the sex designation on the birth certificate if the registrant provides an affidavit from a physician, advance practice registered nurse, or psychologist, that the registrant has undergone surgical, hormonal or other treatment clinically appropriate for the purpose of gender transition. Public Act 15-132, An Act Concerning Birth Certificate Amendments, effective as of October 1, 2015.
If you would like to request an amendment to the sex designation on your CT birth certificate, you MUST request a packet from the Vital Records Office with original copies on archival paper of the applicant and healthcare provider affidavits for signature. In order to request the packet you can contact department staff at 860-509-7956 or email@example.com and receive a copy by mail or in person.
Once you receive the packet you will be instructed to submit the following:
· A notarized affidavit on archival paper completed by you requesting a replacement birth certificate with your updated gender;
· A notarized affidavit on archival paper completed by a licensed physician, a licensed advanced practice registered nurse, or a licensed psychologist, stating that you have undergone surgical, hormonal or other treatment clinically appropriate for the purpose of gender transition.
· A certified copy of a court order granting your legal name change, if you would like your amended birth certificate to reflect a new name;
· A photocopy of a valid, government issued photo identification (e.g., driver's license, passport); and
· Request a copy of a birth certificate if you would like Vital Records to provide a certified copy of your amended birth certificate. Along with the request form, you will need to send payment of $30 for the cost of the certified copy of the birth certificate. The payment must be a money order payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.”
Send completed application to:
Vital Records Office
Department of Public Health
410 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, Connecticut 06106