Connecticut | National Center for Transgender Equality

ID Documents Center



Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated November 2019

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Connecticut Name Change Laws

What to file:

Official instructions from the CT Probate Courts can be found here.

Where to file:

At the Probate Court located in the district where you reside.

Do I need to publish my name change in a newspaper?



The fee for filing the petition and affidavit is $225.

If you cannot afford the fee, you can apply for a fee waiver.

Name Changes for Minors Under 18:

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Connecticut, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Connecticut resource.

Legal Details:

To obtain a legal name change in Connecticut, an applicant must submit a petition to the Superior Court of their judicial district. No publication is required. Registered sex offenders must notify the supervising Commissioner of their intent and update the sex offender registry upon petition approval. (Conn. Gen. Stat. Ann. § 52-11).

Connecticut Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name and/or gender on a Connecticut ID, the applicant must first change name with the Social Security Administration and then submit (1) a Name Correction Request  along with certified documentation of legal name change and/or (2) a Gender Designation Change Form. The Gender Designation form must be signed by the applicant’s medical or social service provider and attest to the applicant's gender identity.

Connecticut Birth Certificate Laws

 The Connecticut Department of Public Health will amend the sex designation on the birth certificate if the registrant provides an affidavit from a physician, advance practice registered nurse, or psychologist, that the registrant has undergone surgical, hormonal or other treatment clinically appropriate for the purpose of gender transition. Public Act 15-132, An Act Concerning Birth Certificate Amendments, effective as of October 1, 2015.

If you would like to request an amendment to the sex designation on your CT birth certificate, you must request a packet from the Vital Records Office with original copies of the applicant and healthcare provider affidavits for signature. In order to request the packet you can contact department staff at 860-509-7956 or and receive a copy by mail or in person.

Once you receive the packet you will be instructed to submit the following:

·  A notarized affidavit on archival paper completed by you requesting a replacement birth certificate with your updated gender;


·  A notarized affidavit on archival paper completed by a licensed physician, a licensed advanced practice registered nurse, or a licensed psychologist, stating that you have undergone surgical, hormonal or other treatment clinically appropriate for the purpose of gender transition. 


·  A certified copy of a court order granting your legal name change, if you would like your amended birth certificate to reflect a new name;


·  A photocopy of a valid, government issued photo identification (e.g., driver's license, passport); and


·  A ‘Request for Copy of Birth Certificate’ if you would like Vital Records to provide a certified copy of your amended birth certificate. Along with the request form, you will need to send payment of $30 for the cost of the certified copy of the birth certificate.  The payment must be a money order payable to “Treasurer, State of Connecticut.”

Send completed application to:
Vital Records Office
Department of Public Health
410 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, Connecticut 06106
The Vital Records Office has instructions on the gender change process on their website. See Connecticut General Statutes §§ 19a-42 and Regulations for Connecticut State Agencies §§ 19a-41-5 through 19a-41-12

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty