Delaware will amend the gender marker on an individual's birth certificate upon receipt of an affidavit from a medical or mental health professional stating that the applicant has had surgical, hormonal, psychological or other treatment appropriate for the individual for the purpose of gender transition. 16 Del. Admin. Code 4205 § 10.7.
To apply for an amended birth certificate, the applicant should submit:
- An individual affidavit requesting a new birth certificate with an updated gender marker
- A provider affidavit signed by a US licensed medical or mental health professional who has treated or evaluated the applicant stating that the applicant has undergone surgical, hormonal, psychological, or other treatment appropriate for the applicant for the purpose of gender transition, based on contemporary standards (affidavit must include license number and name of issuing jurisdiction)
- A certified copy of the legal name change (if applicable)
- A certified copy of the birth certificate (the pink/blue version) or a copy of a government-issued photo ID
- The associated fees, made out to the Office of Vital Statistics
Mail application to:
Office of Vital Statistics
417 Federal Street
Dover, DE 19901
The website for the DE Office Vital Statistics can be found here.