The District of Columbia offers three options for gender markers: M (male), F (female), or X (unspecified/other). Applicants self-select the option that best fits them and do not need a providers signature.
In order to update name and/or gender on a District of Columbia ID, the applicant must submit to the DMV:
- A DC Driver's License or Identification Card Application, indicating Male, Female, or Unspecified
- Appropriate documentation of identity, residency, ability to drive, etc (use the Document Verification Guide available online)
- If changing the legal name, a court order for name change (please note applicant must change their legal name with Social Security at least 24 hours BEFORE the DMV)
- If changing the gender marker, a Gender Designation Form indicating M, F, or X, signed by the applicant
- Appropriate fee ($48 for renewal, $20 for duplicate/changed information)
The District of Columbia Department of Motor Vehicles addresses name changes here.