Skip to main content

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

COVID-19 disruptions: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, many courts and government offices have made significant changes to their operating procedures. This may cause delays in the processing of your name or gender marker change requests as a result. Contact your local court or other government offices for more details. You should keep dated copies of any materials you submit by mail or electronically. We understand this is a hardship for many, and we encourage you to reach out for support if you are distressed.

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated February 2023

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Idaho Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Idaho, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The applicant must publish notice of the petition hearing in a county newspaper for four weeks OR in three of the most public places in the county for four weeks. Registered sex offenders are permitted to change their name long as the granting court gives notice to the sex offender registry with the identifying information. (Idaho Code Ann. §§ 7-801 & 7-805 (West))

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Idaho, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Idaho resource.

Idaho Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on an Idaho ID, the applicant must submit:

  • If changing the name, a court order certifying the name change.
  • If changing the gender, an affidavit signed by a physician certifying that the applicant has undergone the appropriate clinical treatment.

The Idaho Transportation Department addresses name change here.

Idaho Birth Certificate Laws

As of April 3, 2020, the Idaho Office of Vital Statistics is still processing any applications for gender changes it receives under the current policy, described below. As with every state, some processing delays are possible due to reduced staffing during the COVID-19 public health crisis.

Idaho House Bill 509 was signed into law March 30, 2020, with an effective date of July 1. It would prohibit birth certificate gender changes for transgender people. 

However, it is not yet known whether or when the law will actually go into effect, because of legal challenges.

HB509 would define sex as based solely on anatomy at birth for purposes of vital records, and would permit gender changes after a person's first birthday only on the basis of "fraud, duress, or material mistake of fact," or based on certain intersex conditions.

Read the ACLU of Idaho's FAQ about HB509 here.

Current policy (as of 4/3/20): The Office of Vital Statistics will amend the gender on a birth certificate upon request of the  applicant; no medical documentation is required. 

To apply for an updated birth certificate, the applicant must submit the following items. All forms are included in the Idaho Gender Change Packet.

  1. An Application to Change Sex on an Idaho Birth Certificate, signed in front of a notary;
  2. An Idaho Vital Statistics Certificate Request, to get a copy of the new birth certificate;
  3. If changing the name, a certified copy of a court order for name change;
  4. A photocopy of the applicant's photo ID;
  5. Fee of $20 to process the application and $16 for each new birth certificate.

Mail the application to:

Idaho Vital Records
PO Box 83720
Boise, Idaho 83720‐0036 

If you have additional questions, you can email or call (208) 334‐5980 to contact a vital records customer service representative

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty