In order to update the name on an Iowa ID, the applicant must submit a court order for name change. The Iowa Department of Transportation addresses name changes here.
In order for applicants born in Iowa to update the gender on an Iowa ID, they must submit an updated birth certificate.
In order for applicants born outside of Iowa to update the gender on an Iowa ID, they must submit one of the following:
- A certified copy of a birth certificate from another state with an updated gender marker;
- A Consular Report of Birth Abroad with an updated gender marker;
- A Certificate of Citizenship with an updated gender marker;
- A notarized affidavit from a physician and surgeon that documents all of the following:
- The provider completed sex designation treatment for the applicant;
- A description of the medical procedures that constituted the treatment;
- As a result off the treatment, the applicant's sex designation was permanently changed by surgery or other treatment;
- The provider's full name, address, state of medical license, and medical license number.
Iowa Administrative Code § 601.5(7).
Documentation should be mailed here:
Driver and Identification Services
Iowa Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 9204
Des Moines, Iowa, 50306-9204