Skip to main content

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

Most courts and government offices have resumed normal operations with the formal end of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. Make sure to contact your local court or other government offices for details on their current operating hours and procedures, including if they require appointments for in-person visits.. You should keep dated copies of any materials you submit by mail or electronically. 

Last updated November 2023


How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison


Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Maryland Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Maryland, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The court will issue a docket notice and deadline for objections. The applicant must publish notice of the petition once in a county newspaper at least fifteen days before the objections deadline unless the court grants the petitioner’s motion to waive the publication requirement. (MD R SPEC P Rule 15-901). 

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Maryland, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Maryland resource.

Maryland Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name on a Maryland license or ID, the applicant must first change their name with the Social Security Administration, and then bring an original or certified copy of the name change order to the MVA. Applicants must notify the MVA of a legal name change within 30 days of the name change. The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration has additional information on name changes on their website.

Starting October 1, 2019, the MD MVA permits applicants to select a male, female, or undesignated or other (X) designation when applying for or renewing a license. No additional form is needed.

Maryland Birth Certificate Laws

Effective October 1, 2015, the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene will update the gender marker on a certificate of birth upon receipt of certification from a licensed healthcare provider that the applicant has undergone surgical, hormonal, or other treatment appropriate for the purpose of sex transition. A new certificate of birth will be issued and will not be marked as amended. Code Ann., Health-Gen. § 4-211.

To apply for an updated birth certificate, an applicant should submit:

Submit application to:

Division of Vital Records
6550 Reisterstown Road
Baltimore, Maryland 21215

Join Our Mailing List

Sign Up