Michigan | National Center for Transgender Equality

ID Documents Center



Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated March2020

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Michigan Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Michigan, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The applicant must publish notice of the petition, but the court may waive the publication requirement for a good cause and seal the court proceedings. Applicants over the age of 22 must provide two sets of fingerprints. Applicants with a criminal record have the burden of proof to rebut a presumption of fraudulent intent. (Mich. Comp. Laws Ann. §§ 711.1-711.3.

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Michigan, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Michigan resource.

Michigan Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on a Michigan ID, the applicant should submit:
  • The current ID.
  • To update the gender marker, a signed Sex Designation Form (indicating designation Male or Female).
  • To update the name, proof of name change, after first updating their name with the Social Security Administration.
The Michigan Secretary of State addresses name changes here.

Michigan Birth Certificate Laws

Michigan statute says that Vital Records will issue a new birth certificate upon receipt of "a request that a new certificate be established to show a sex designation other than that designated at birth. The request shall be accompanied by an affidavit of a physician certifying that sex-reassignment surgery has been performed." Michigan Public Health Code §§ 333.2831.

To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit:

  • The application form signed by the applicant
  • medical affidavit signed by a Physician, stating that the applicant has had "appropriate surgical procedures completed for gender transition to the new gender"
  • A copy of their photo ID
  • A copy of the court order for name change, if applicable
  • Any applicable fees

Mail your application to:

Vital Records Change
P.O. Box 30721
Lansing MI 48909 

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty