Skip to main content

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

Most courts and government offices have resumed normal operations with the formal end of the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. Make sure to contact your local court or other government offices for details on their current operating hours and procedures, including if they require appointments for in-person visits.. You should keep dated copies of any materials you submit by mail or electronically. 

Last updated November 2023


How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison


Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Missouri Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Missouri, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The applicant must publish notice of the name change at least once a week for three weeks in a newspaper within 20 days of the court order. The publication requirement may be waived for victims of domestic violence or child abuse. (Mo. Ann. Stat. § 527.290).

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Missouri, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Missouri resource.

Missouri Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the gender on a Missouri ID, the applicant must provide ONE of the following:

  1. A completed Gender Designation Change Request Form;
  2. Medical documentation showing completion of gender reassignment surgery;
  3. A U.S. Passport which reflects the gender designation requested by the applicant;
  4. An amended U.S. birth certificate which reflects the gender designation requested by the applicant; or
  5. A court order declaring the gender designation requested by the applicant (may be part of a court ordered name change).

If the applicant requesting the gender designation change does not have one of the required documents above, the license office should contact the central office at (573) 526-2555 before turning the applicant away. The central office may allow alternate documents to be submitted for review from the applicant to determine eligibility.

In order to update the name on a Missouri ID, the applicant must present a document demonstrating the current name, such as a Certified Court Order, a U.S Passport, a Social Security Card or a Medicare Card. The Missouri Department of Revenue has information on name change here.

Missouri Birth Certificate Laws

According to Missouri statute, the Department of Health will issue an amended birth certificate "upon receipt of a certified copy of an order of a court of competent jurisdiction indicating the sex of an individual born in this state has been changed by surgical procedure and that such individual's name has been changed." Mo. Rev. Stat. § 193.215-9.

To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit the certified copy of the court order, a written request for the birth certificate (stating where the new certificate is to be sent), and the applicable fees to Missouri Dept. of Health and Senior Services, P.O. Box 570, Jefferson City, MO 65102. 

Template forms for requesting a court order for gender change are available on the Transas City website. Note that some individuals have been able to get a court order for gender change on a Missouri birth certificate without proof of transition-related surgery.

Join Our Mailing List

Sign Up