Montana | National Center for Transgender Equality

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

COVID-19 disruptions: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, many courts and government offices have made significant changes to their operating procedures. This may cause delays in the processing of your name or gender marker change requests as a result. Contact your local court or other government offices for more details. You should keep dated copies of any materials you submit by mail or electronically. We understand this is a hardship for many, and we encourage you to reach out for support if you are distressed.

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

Please note that we are no longer accepting applications for the Name Change Program, but you can find information on how to update your legal name in this guide.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated November 2021

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Montana Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Montana, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The applicant must publish notice of the hearing time and place in a county newspaper for four weeks. The applicant may request the petition and hearing to be sealed for their safety. (Mont. Code Ann. §§ 27-31-101 & 27-31-201 to 27-31-205).

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Montana, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Montana resource.

Montana Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on a Montana ID, the applicant must submit a certified copy of a name change order to change the legal name, and a letter from a doctor stating that the person is in the process or has completed the process of changing their gender.

The Montana Department of Justice addresses name change here.

Montana Birth Certificate Laws

As of December 17, 2017, Montana will issue a new birth certificate with an updated name and gender upon receipt of an affidavit from the individual. No court order or medical documentation is required. The department will also accept a government-issued ID showing the correct gender or a court order. 

To apply for an updated birth certificate, an applicant must submit:

  1. Correction Affidavit signed by the applicant.
  2. Copy of your photo ID.
  3. Check or money order for the applicable fees ($27 for one amended certificate, additional copies are $5 each)
  4. One of the following items as documentation of gender:
    1. A completed Gender Designation Form, signed by the individual or their parent or representative (no medical signature required); or
    2. A government-issued identification displaying the correct gender designation; or
    3. A certified copy of an order from a court with appropriate jurisdiction indicating that the gender has been changed. 

Submit the application to:

Montana Vital Records
PO Box 4210
Helena, Montana 59604  

You can call Vital Records at 406-444-9039 or 406-444-4226 for additional assistance.

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty