As of December 17, 2017, Montana will issue a new birth certificate with an updated name and gender upon receipt of an affidavit from the individual. No court order or medical documentation is required. The department will also accept a government-issued ID showing the correct gender or a court order.
To apply for an updated birth certificate, an applicant must submit:
- Correction Affidavit signed by the applicant.
- Copy of your photo ID.
- Check or money order for the applicable fees ($27 for one amended certificate, additional copies are $5 each)
- One of the following items as documentation of gender:
- A completed Gender Designation Form, signed by the individual or their parent or representative (no medical signature required); or
- A government-issued identification displaying the correct gender designation; or
- A certified copy of an order from a court with appropriate jurisdiction indicating that the gender has been changed.
Submit the application to:
Montana Vital Records
PO Box 4210
Helena, Montana 59604
You can call Vital Records at 406-444-9039 or 406-444-4226 for additional assistance.