Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to get a legal name change where you live and update your name/gender on state and federal IDs and records.

How friendly is the driver’s license gender change policy in your state? 
Check the grade we gave your state.

Last updated August 2018

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Nevada Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Nevada, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. The applicant must publish notice in a newspaper once a week for three weeks, however the petition and proceedings may be sealed for the applicant's personal safety. (Nev. Rev. Stat. Ann. §§ 41.270-41.290).

Nevada Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name on a Nevada ID, an applicant must first change their name with the Social Security Administration, and then submit a court order certifying the name change to the Department of Motor Vehicles. 

In order to update the gender marker on a Nevada ID, no documentation is needed. NAC 483-070. Applicants may select male or female on the application form regardless of the gender on other documents submitted. An applicant must appear in person to make this change and is not limited in the number of times the change is made.

The DMV addresses name and gender marker changes here.

Nevada Birth Certificate Laws

As of November 2016, Vital Records will issue a new birth certificate with a corrected gender marker upon receipt of two affidavits reflecting an individual's gender. NAC 440.030.  

To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit:

  1. An Affidavit from the individual, their parent or guardian, or legal representative, stating the gender that should be on the birth certificate and why.
  2. Supplemental Affidavit from someone else who knows them confirming the facts in their affidavit. The second affidavit can be from anyone who has personal knowledge of the applicant’s gender, meaning anyone who knows the applicant’s gender firsthand through a personal, familial, medical, or professional relationship. The affidavit should confirm the individual’s gender identity and the gender they intend to maintain. A written statement on letterhead from a licensed healthcare professional or a court order confirming gender change can be submitted instead of the Supplemental Affidavit.
  3. A copy of the original birth certificate
  4. $40 fee, that includes one certified copy of the amended certificate. Additional copies are $20 each.

See the Instruction Packet on Changing Gender and Name on a Birth Certificate from the Nevada Office of Vital Records for more information.

Submit applications to:

Division of Public and Behavioral Health
Preparedness, Assurance, Inspections and Statistics
Nevada Office of Vital Records
4150 Technology Way, Suite 104
Carson City, Nevada 89706

For specifc questions about amending or correcting information on a birth certifcate, call 775-684-4242 and ask for an amendment clerk. 

Join Our Mailing List