New Mexico | National Center for Transgender Equality

ID Documents Center


New Mexico

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

COVID-19 disruptions: Due to the current COVID-19 public health crisis, many courts and government offices are temporarily closed or operating for emergency business only; contact the office nearest you for details. You may unfortunately experience delays in getting a response from state or federal government agencies or in the processing of your name or gender marker change requests as a result. For your safety and the safety of others you should not travel to any government office at this time. You should keep dated copies of any materials you submit by mail or electronically. We understand this is a hardship for many, and we encourage you to reach out for support if you are distressed.

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated May 2020

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

New Mexico Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in New Mexico, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. Before filing the petition, the applicant must publish notice of the petition at least once a week for two weeks; the publication requirement can be waived for the applicant’s safety. (N.M. Stat. Ann. §§ 40-8-1 to 40-8-3).


To help guide applicants through the process a New Mexico Name and Gender Change Guide is available in English and Spanish, brought to you by the Transgender Resource Center of New Mexico, the National Center for Transgender Equality, and Cooley LLP.


For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in New Mexico, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in New Mexico resource.

New Mexico Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on a New Mexico ID, the applicant must submit

  1. A "Request for Sex Designation Change" form, indicating male, female, or undesignated (X).
  2. A court order certifying the name change 

New Mexico Birth Certificate Laws

The New Mexico Department of Vital Records will issue an amended birth certificate upon receipt of

  • the appropriate signed and notarized "Request to Change Gender Designation on a Birth Certificate" form,
  • if a name change is requested, submit a certified copy of the name change order, and
  • with any applicable fees. .

N.M. Stat. §§ 24-14-25.

For minors, applications must be submitted by a parent(s) or legal guardian on the minor's behalf. Minors ages 14-17 must also submit a consent form along with the application.

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty