ID Documents Center


North Carolina

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to get a legal name change where you live and update your name/gender on state and federal IDs and records.

How friendly is the driver’s license gender change policy in your state? 
Check the grade we gave your state.

Last updated November 2018

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

North Carolina Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in North Carolina, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. Before filing the petition, the applicant must publish notice at the courthouse door for ten days, however the publication requirement can be waived with evidence that the applicant is a victim of domestic violence, sexual offense, or stalking. Along with the petition, the applicant must submit proof of the applicant’s good character by two county citizens and FBI and State Bureau of Investigations Record Checks. Registered sex offenders are not permitted to obtain a legal name change. (N.C. Gen. Stat. Ann. §§ 101-1 to 101-8). You can consult the North Carolina Legal Aid Name Change Guide for detailed information on the process.

North Carolina Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on a North Carolina ID, the applicant must submit (1) a court order certifying the name change and/or (2) a letter signed by a physician certifying that the applicant has undergone gender reassignment surgery. The North Carolina Department of Transportation addresses name changes here.

North Carolina Birth Certificate Laws

North Carolina state registrar will issue a new birth certificate upon receipt of a written request by an individual "to change the sex on that individual's birth record because of sex reassignment surgery, if the request is accompanied by a notarized statement from the physician who performed the sex reassignment surgery or from a physician licensed to practice medicine who has examined the individual and can certify that the person has undergone sex reassignment surgery." G.S. § 130A-118.

To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit:

  • A handwritten request detailing what changes are to be made to the birth certificate
  • The Application for a Birth Certificate with section 2 completed (Other = Gender Change)
  • A certified copy of the court ordered name change (if applicable)
  • A notarized original letter from the doctor stating that individual has completed surgical procedures OR a certified copy of a court ordered gender change
  • Payment of any applicable fees (name change = $15, gender change = $15, certificate search and first copy = $24)

Mail application to:

​North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services
​Division of Public Health - Vital Records
1903 Mail Service Center
​Raleigh, NC 27699-1900 

Join Our Mailing List

Please leave this field empty