ID Documents Center



Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to get a legal name change where you live and update your name/gender on state and federal IDs and records.

How friendly is the driver’s license gender change policy in your state? 
Check the grade we gave your state.

Last updated August 2018

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Oklahoma Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Oklahoma, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. At least 10 days before the hearing, the applicant must publish notice of the hearing in a newspaper, however publication requirements can be waived and records can be sealed with good cause. (Okla. Stat. Ann. tit. 12, §§ 1631-1637).

Oklahoma Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update name and/or gender on an Oklahoma ID, the applicant must show an original or certified court order for name change, if applicable, and/or a notarized statement on letterhead from the physician who performed the sex change operation indicating the applicant or licensee has undergone a complete physical sex change. The letter shall state the sex change is 'irreversible and permanent'. The licensee shall also show proof of former legal name, if applicable. The former name shall be entered into the Alias field in the driver license database to provide historical information to the Department. The person requesting the information change may retain the old license, if it is available, after the motor license agent has first punched a hole through the identification number of the license. The Oklahoma Department of Public Safety addresses name change here.

Oklahoma Birth Certificate Laws

Oklahoma Office of Vital Records will likely issue an amended birth certificate upon receipt of a court order for gender change. There is no specific gender change provision in Oklahoma law, but the general statute is OK Title 310:105-3-3.

The applicant should submit a birth certificate request form, a court order for gender change, if requesting an updated gender marker and/or a court order for name change if requesting an updated name, a copy of the individual's photo ID, and payment of any applicable fees. The Office of Vital Records will contact the individual if any additional information is needed. 

Join Our Mailing List