Skip to main content

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

COVID-19 disruptions: Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, many courts and government offices have made significant changes to their operating procedures. This may cause delays in the processing of your name or gender marker change requests as a result. Contact your local court or other government offices for more details. You should keep dated copies of any materials you submit by mail or electronically. We understand this is a hardship for many, and we encourage you to reach out for support if you are distressed.

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated February 2023

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Utah Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Utah, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. Subject to the court's discretion, the court may issue notice of the hearing. (Utah Code Ann. § 42-1-2). Forms and instructions for a name change petition can be found here.

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Utah, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Utah resource.

Utah Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name and/or gender on a Utah ID, the applicant must submit (1) a court order certifying the name change (if applicable) and/or (2) a passport or birth certificate bearing the new gender. The Utah Department of Public Safety addresses name changes here.

Utah Birth Certificate Laws

Utah Office of Vital Records will issue an amended birth certificate upon receipt of a court order.  "The amendment shall be registered with and become a part of the original certificate and a certified copy shall be issued to the applicant without additional cost." UT Code Ann. § 26-2-11.

To apply for an updated birth certificate, applicant should submit:

  1. a completed birth certificate request form
  2. a certified copy of the court ordered name change to update the name, and/or the court ordered gender change to update the gender marker
  3. payment of the applicable fees

To obtain a court order for gender change to update your Utah birth certificate, you must petition the court for a court order. There is no formalized court process, but advocates have created these sample name and gender change forms based on the name change forms. In order to get a birth certificate issued that is not marked as amended, ask the judge to specify on the order that a new birth certificate be re-issued. The petition must be accompanied by a Certification Regarding Sex Offender Registry. Along with the petition you should submit as evidence of your gender transition a statement or statements from medical and/or mental health providers. The standard for what is required depends on the judge and varies by county. 

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty