Vermont | National Center for Transgender Equality

Welcome to our one-stop hub for name and gender change information. Find out how to update your name and gender on state and federal IDs and records. 

Not sure where to start? Here's a quick overview.

How friendly are the ID policies in your state?
State driver's license policy grades
State birth certificate policy comparison

Last updated November 2019

Name Change, Driver's License & Birth Certificate Policies in:

Federal IDs and Records:

Vermont Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Vermont, an applicant must submit a petition to the court. No publication is required. Registered sex offenders may not be eligible to change their name unless the court finds a compelling purpose. (Vt. Stat. Ann. tit. 15, § 811 to § 817 (West))

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Vermont, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Vermont resource.

Vermont Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name on a Vermont ID, the applicant must first change their name with the Social Security Administration, then submit a court order certifying the name change. The Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles addresses name change here. Applicants must notify the DMV of a legal name change within 30 days of the name change.

No documentation is needed to update the gender to M, F, or X on a Vermont ID. The DMV has information on their website clarifying that gender is a self-designated descriptor. If applying for a Vermont license for the first time, fill out the Driver's License Application and select the appropriate gender marker. If applying for a corrected license, fill out the Replacement License Application with the appropriate gender marker selected.

Vermont Birth Certificate Laws

Vermont Dept. of Health will issue a new birth certificate "upon receiving a court order that an individual's sexual reassignment has been completed" from the probate division of the superior court. Sufficient evidence for the court order is "an affidavit by a licensed physician who has treated or evaluated the individual stating that the individual has undergone surgical, hormonal, or other treatment appropriate for that individual for the purpose of gender transition... The affidavit shall include the medical license number and signature of the physician." Stat. Ann. 18 V.S.A. § 5112.  The probate court will send both the court order and a copy of the original birth certificate to direct the State Vital Records Office to replace the original birth certificate with a new birth certificate in the state Vital Records, in the birth town, and the residence town (at the time of birth). To receive the new birth certificate, the applicant mails a check for the applicable fee to the town of birth. 

Join Our Mailing List

   Please leave this field empty