In order to update the name and/or gender on a Washington state ID, an applicant must submit:
- If changing name, a document demonstrating the name change, such as a court order or birth certificate,
- If changing gender, bring ONE of these documents showing the correct gender:
- Valid US Passport
- Certified US Birth Certificate
- Valid Driver’s license or Identification card issued by a US state or territory
- Court Order indicating gender designation change
- Valid US Permanent Resident Card (I-551)
- Valid Employment Authorization Card (I-766)
- A Change of Gender Designation Request form signed by a medical or social services provider (a licensed physician, psychiatrist, psychologist, naturopath, advanced registered nurse practitioner, physician assistant, certified osteopathic physician assistant, or social service worker)
- A copy of your valid WA driver license, ID card, EDL, EID, or instruction permit
- Payment of the driver licensing fee.
Submit the application in person at a driver licensing office, or mail to the following address (if submitting by mail, you must send the Change of Gender Designation Request Form):
Programs and Services, Record Response
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9030
Olympia WA 98507-9030
If submitted by mail, you will receive an authorization letter and then can receive your new card online or at a driver licensing office.
The Washington State Department of Licensing addresses name change here and gender change here.