Wyoming Identity Documents

Wyoming Name Change Laws

To obtain a legal name change in Wyoming, an applicant must submit a petition to the District Court in the county where you live. Please note you must be a resident of the county for at least two years before you can file. The applicant must publish notice in a newspaper once a week for a required period, however the publication can keep an applicant’s address confidential if the individual is a victim of domestic violence. (Wyo. Stat. Ann. §§ 1-25-101 to 1-25-104)

For instructions on legal name changes for minors under 18 in Wyoming, see NCTE's Name Changes for Minors in Wyoming resource.

Wyoming Drivers License Policy & Procedures

In order to update the name on a Wyoming ID, the applicant must:

  • Change their name with the Social Security Administration
  • Appear in person at any Wyoming driver exam office and:
    • Surrender your current Wyoming license or ID card
    • Present your court order certifying the name change 
    • Pay the standard renewal fee
  • A new photograph and signature will be captured, and the new license will be mailed to you

In order to update the gender on a Wyoming ID, the applicant must:

  • Complete the Gender Designation Change Request Form, signed by the applicant and a physician, therapist or counselor, psychiatric social worker, or other medical or social service provider
  • Present the form at a Wyoming driver exam office at the same time as or separately from a name change

The Wyoming Department of Transportation addresses name and gender changes here.

Wyoming Birth Certificate Laws

Wyoming will amend a birth certificate with a court order stating that the sex of an individual has been changed.

To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit:

  • A letter addressed to Vital Statistics Services stating the information you would like updated on your birth certificate. Be sure to sign this letter.
  • If changing the name, a certified copy of the court ordered name change.
  • If changing the sex, a certified copy of the court ordered gender change (specify for a new certificate) AND a letter from a doctor, on letterhead, that gender reassignment surgery has been completed.
  • A photocopy of your current ID (such as a driver's license).
  • A fee of $16.00, made via a personal check (3rd party checks are not accepted) or money order payable to Vital Statistics Services. The fee includes one certified copy of the birth certificate.

Send application to:

Vital Statistics Services
2300 Capitol Avenue
Hathaway Building
Cheyenne, WY 82002

Footer lines pattern Footer lines pattern

Stay Informed

Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest news and opportunities for action delivered straight to your inbox.